New Orleans Public Library
New Orleans Cotton Exchange
The Louisiana Division holds a collection of manuscript and printed materials from the New Orleans Cotton Exchange donated in two or more accessions and
otherwise collected by the Division over the years. The manuscript
materials include case file (arbitrations, claims, proceedings of the
Committee on Membership, etc.), typewritten reports, and a subject
file on the alleged oldest bale of cotton grown in America. (LINK HERE for the finding aid for the manuscript collection.)
included is a small collection of 13 photographic prints illustrating aspects of
the Exchange's history, presented below. Most of the photographs are undated. Click on the thumbnails to see a larger version of the photographs.
Also included is a small collection of 13 photographic prints illustrating aspects of the Exchange's history, presented below. Most of the photographs are undated. Click on the thumbnails to see a larger version of the photographs.
|W.E. Andrews, Assistant Secretary and Assistant Superintendent, New Orleans Cotton Exchange
||Bale from cotton grown in 1862. Presented to New Orleans Cotton Exchange by Mr. Alvin D. Goldman, head of Lesser-Goldman Cotton Company in St. Louis in 1945. (In 1962, the bale was presented to Louisiana State University.)||Plaque presented to the New Orleans Cotton Exchange by the New York Cotton Exchange, 1946
[Photograph by American Studio, New York City]
|Cotton Exchange building [third], corner Gravier and Carondelet Streets
[Photograph by Photography Unlimited]
|The third Cotton Exchange Building, corner Gravier and Carondelet Streets, erected in 1920 on the site of the second Exchange building
[Photograph by Charles L. Franck Photographers]
|Cotton Exhange Builidng [third], corner Gravier and Carondelet Streets
7 stories and basement, concrete and steele
[Photograph by Charles L. Franck]
Henry Plauche succeeded H.G. Hester as Secretary of the Exchange
[Photograph by A.E. Steward]
|The "Old Exchange," June 3, 1916
This is the second Cotton Exchange building, which opened in 1883 at the corner of Gravier and Carondelet Streets. It was demolished ca. 1918 to make way for the new (third) Exchange. (The original Exchange Building was located at Gravier and Varieties Alley.)
[Photograph by Leon Trice Picture Service]
|Jordon (left) [otherwise unidentified] and Henry Plauche||E.H. Summers, first President of the New Orleans Cotton Exchange||The floor of the New Orleans Cotton Exchange, 1924||H.G. Hester, Secretary, New Orleans Cotton Exchange.
Colonel Hester served as secretary of the Exchange from its organization in 1871 until his retirement in 1932.
|Members of the New Orleans Cotton Exchange, 1883
[Photograph by A.E. Stewart]