Manuscripts Collection
Louisiana Division
New Orleans Public Library

Canal Bank & Trust Company (In Liquidation)
Inventory of branch properties, 1933. [MS166]

The Canal Bank & Trust Company went into liquidation on March 1, 1933 following the National Bank Holiday. Originally organized as the New Orleans Canal and Banking Company in 1831, this financial institution was succeeded on May 22, 1933 by the National Bank of Commerce in New Orleans.

The inventory of branch properties is a single "volume" made up of loose sheets of CB&TC (In Liquidation) stationary, one sheet for each branch. Each sheet has a small map showing the location of the branch (by square, showing bounding streets), property dimensions, book and assessed values, and a 3" x 5" photographic print showing the branch building and immediately adjacent properties. Data on fifteen branch banks are recorded in this volume, which also includes a copy of Wm. E. Boesch's "Map of Greater New Orleans, Louisiana" (March 2, 1931) marked to show the locations of the individual branches.

The branch locations were as follows:

  1. Carrollton Branch--Carrollton Ave. & Oak St.
  2. Memory Branch--Tulane Ave. & S. Lopez St.
  3. Lebreton Branch--Bayou Road, between N. Broad and N. Dorgenois Sts.
  4. Ewing Branch--Magazine & Octavia Sts.
  5. Dryades Branch--Dryades & Terpsichore Sts.
  6. Poydras Branch--S. Rampart St., between Poydras & Lafayette Sts.
  7. Treme Branch--732 N. Claiborne Ave.
  8. Treme Branch--N. Claiborne Ave. & St. Ann St.
  9. Ninth St. Branch--Magazine & Ninth Sts.
  10. Magazine Branch--Magazine & St. Andrew Sts.
  11. Lee Circle Branch--Howard Ave. at Lee Circle
  12. French Market Branch--Decatur & St. Philip Sts.
  13. Burgundy Branch--Burgundy & Touro Sts.
  14. Produce Branch--Poydras & S. Peters Sts.
  15. Algiers Branch--Patterson & Vallette Sts.
In addition to providing a fragmentary record of the bank's liquidation process, this brief record provides clear views of fifteen examples of New Orleans commercial architecture. Some of the buildings are still standing (some are still being used for banking purposes), while others--including the one reproduced above, have long since vanished from the local landscape.

Return to Manuscript Inventories


Back to Nutrias Home

12/11/1996-we