This image shows the site of the Civic Center (including the present site of New Orleans Public Library) after it had been cleared but before any construction began. In October of 1953, the plans and specifications for the new City Hall were approved by the Council, paving the way for construction to begin. Meanwhile, the 11-acre site was being used for parking.