Bayou St. John meets the Lake, probably 1948. On the right of the old bridge is the Coast Guard Station (now gone) and the area known as the "Old Beach," the original home of Pontchartrain Beach. Above the Old Beach is Lake Vista, after the streets were built, but before homes went up. At the right of the Bayou is open ground which became Lake Terrace. It is difficult to tell whether the section of the Bayou at the top of the photo is flooded or whether the photo merely shows the normal widening of the Bayou just beyond the locks.
Back to September thumbnails