James Hardy Dillard left Tulane in 1907 to become head of the Jeanes Fund, dedicated to the improvement of educational facilities for Southern blacks. He continued to serve as chairman of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Public Library. In that capacity some years previously Dillard had persuaded Andrew Carnegie to fund construction of library buildings in the Crescent City. The 1907 Jambalaya was dedicated to Dr. Dillard and his service to Tulane.
Back to October Images