In August and September we visited two medical institutions, both of which were once nearby neighbors of NOPL's Main Library. This month we visit a medical institution that is still alive and well in the neighborhood, although 100 years ago the Main Library was not on Tulane Avenue, nor was Tulane. NOPL was in temporary quarters, awaiting its new home at Lee Circle while the Med School still made its home on Canal Street.
1907 locations aside, New Orleans Public Library and Tulane have a long and interesting history of partnerships and other interactions. NOPL owes its very existence to Tulane's decision to move its main campus from downtown to uptown in 1894 (the city fathers did not want the Fisk Library collection, then maintained by Tulane, to move away from the business district; they established NOPL to take over control of the collection). More recently, Lance Query, dean of libraries and academic information resources at Tulane, was been named special consultant for administration to the board of the New Orleans Public Library during NOPL's search for a new permanent director, post-Katrina.
This month's Gallery identifies a number of early interactions between Tulane and NOPL using photographs published in the 1907 edition of Jambalaya, the university's yearbook. We've also included some of the wonderful artwork that illustrated the Jambalaya that year--just because it is so wonderful!