Meanwhile, plans and preparations were being made for the huge task of "sewering" the city. The old, existing sewer
lines and canals had to be mapped and evaluated; rights-of-way had to be acquired (and legal disputes sometimes
litigated); franchises previously let to private companies had to be settled; bids and contracts had to be set up; funding
had to be securred and staff hired. But finally, during the first half of 1903, the contracts for sewerage construction were
let, and the massive job of digging the city's sewers officially began.
Shown here is the program for the "inauguration of active construction." Mayor (and President of the Sewerage and Water Board) Paul Capedeville ceremonially broke ground at the corner of Canal and Robertson Streets on Contract "G," awarded to Irwin Brothers, Contractors.
The program saluted the "Numerous citizens in all professions and in all walks of life [who] through earnest active effort and work assisted in bringing about the accomplishment of this great stride in the advance of the City to the front rank among the Cities of the World."