The Delord-Sarpy House at 634 Howard Ave. [formerly Delord St.] was the oldest house above Canal until it was demolished in 1957 to make room for an approach ramp for the Mississippi River Bridge. The house was built in 1818 on land that had once belonged to Bienville and was later in the possession of the Jesuits. Allison photographed it on January 15, 1957, not long before the wrecking ball hit.
Back to November thumbnails