This photograph of a WPA exhibit of shells at the Cabildo was taken on February 25, 1937. We know little about this project, but it appears to have been an educational/archeological (or, more correctly, archeoconchology) effort sponsored by the WPA to collect shells indigenous to the area. We also don't know whether the girls dressed as Indians and the boys dressed as....waiters? bellboys?... are participants in the exhibit or in costume for some other event.
Back to May thumbnails