Image of the Month
A St. Charles streetcar prepares to turn from Carondelet Street onto Canal Street, probably sometime in 1948. The large building at the left was L. Feibleman & Co.'s department store which operated on the site from 1897 until 1931. In the latter year the Feibleman concern opened a new store at the corner of Baronne and Common Streets (later the site of the downtown Sears, Roebuck department store and currently the Baronne Plaza Hotel). The original building at Carondelet and Canal continued in operation as a retail establishment until its demolition, ca. 1948, to make way for the new Gus Mayer department store (now a CVS Pharmacy). The building across Canal Street was then Kreeger's department store; it is now occupied by a Foot Locker athletic shoe outlet.|
The photograph was taken by Dorothy Violet Gulledge, an amateur photographer who lived in New Orleans (click HERE for more information on Ms. Gulledge and her collection). We have just begun a project to scan the 2800+ slides in the Gulledge Collection and will begin posting digital images to our web site in the very near future.
Click the image to see a larger version.
Click HERE to visit our old (1996-2007) Images of the Month Gallery archives.