"The New Downtown Development"

The Civic Center site, before and after. In 1948, the city began buying land in the area roughly bounded by Poydras, Loyola (then Saratoga), Canal, and Claiborne, in order to clear the "cancerous slum" (in the words of the Annual Report) that "blocked growth of [the] central business district." The Civic Center rose in this area, but today there are questions and some second thoughts about what was destroyed in order to stimulate the growth the city desired in 1955.