Shakespeare Alms House (Part 7)
The Touro Shakespeare Almshouse has a long and rather complicated history. Incorporated in 1855 as a result of an $80,000 bequest by Judah P. Touro, the almshouse originally operated in the Third District, in the square bounded by Piety, Desire, N. Peters and Chartres. After the Civil War, the property was transferred to the city, which held it in trust for a number of years. In 1882, the building shown here was constructed, facing what is now Daneel Street between Joseph and Nashville; it was demolished after the home moved to its present location in Algiers, where it continues to operate as a nursing home.