Xavier University (1916)

This photograph shows the building in which Xavier University was born. In 1915, Mother Katherine Drexel (now Saint Katherine) acquired this imposing structure on Magazine Street, which had been the original home of Southern University before in relocated to Baton Rouge. Here she and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament established a school for African-American youngsters from the seventh grade through high school. Later, a normal school was added and, in 1925, the school moved to its present campus on Palmetto Street (now renamed in Saint Katherine's honor) and became Xavier University. The Magazine Street campus became Xavier Preparatory School.