Verrina High School, St. Stephen's Parish (1916)

The Verrina High School for Boys and Young Men in St. Stephen's Parish was founded in September, 1915 on Napoleon Avenue at the corner of Chestnut Street. The building that housed the school had been built in 1858 by the Vincentian Fathers as the Diocesan Seminary. After the seminary closed, the property was taken over as a high school for boys, staffed by the Brothers of Mary and named for one of St. Stephen's early pastors. The high school closed in 1925 and the boys' grammar school moved into the building. In 1960, the new St. Stephen's School was opened on the site of the old school.