Otis Manufacturing Company (1916)
The Otis Manufacturing Company advertised itself as the "largest importers of mahogany
in the world." Its plant was located
at Jefferson Avenue and the river, a site now occupied by the
Riverside Market shopping center. In 1932, the company
merged with the Astoria Importing and
Manufacturing Company of New York and continued to operate as Otis Astoria Corporation.
Frank G. Otis, its president and general manager, died in 1962, his personal fortune was in excess of $2
million, and he
left a generous legacy of $1 million to Tulane University.