House of Detention (1912)

The House of Detention was built in 1901 and demolished in 1929 to make way for the new Criminal District Court building and jail at Tulane and Broad. In the 1912 volume, the then relatively new lockup is praised for its "humane manner of treating the inmates," and lavish credit is given to its superintendent, Maurice Picheloup--no doubt a Behrman man.