Images of the Month Gallery|
Now that school is out for the summer, we can take a look back at a bit of New Orleans Public Schools history. At the end of 1895 there were thirty public schools in the Crescent City--three high schools and twenty-seven grammar/primary schools. The public schools then were still being financed through the Board of Commissioners of the McDonogh School Fund, the body designated by the city government to invest John McDonogh's bequest and manage the proceeds from those investments. The Annual report of the Fund for the period 1892-1895, published in 1896, included photographs of all thirty schools along with basic descriptive information for each. For this months Gallery we present digital images scanned from the first fifteen schools. Check back in August, just before school starts for the 2004-2005 session, for the remaining fifteen schools.