Canal was not the only street to see new construction during the 1950s. The eight story Lowich Building at 2026 St. Charles Avenue opened early in 1951 and housed a number of government agencies in its early years. Later known as the Avenue Building, the structure recently was demolished to make way for a new headquarters for the Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau.|
The sign atop the Butter Krisp Restaurant next door reads "New Orleans Air Hub of the Americas" announcing the city's 1950s endeavor to improve both its airline service and its role as trade partner with South America.
Back to June Images