|Here are the comments on this building at 440 Chartres from the CPZC's French Quarter
survey: "This little French house is one of the finest and most characteristic in the Vieux Carre. The most pleasing
feature is the
massing and placing of the openings along with a graceful roof. The arches opening at the first floor are very interesting.
The building is a very fine example of the trend of good work in former days and is classed number one."
Located just across the street from the old Civil Court building (now under renovation for the Louisiana Supreme Court), this building was known as the Court House Grocery in 1927. It is more notorious, however, for being almost universally misidentified as "Maspero's Exchange," one of the city's earliest coffee house/exchanges. Actually, Maspero's Exchange was located across the street from this building, on part of the site later occupied by the St. Louis Hotel and now by the Omni Royal Hotel. The building shown here was originally built by Juan Paillet in the 1790s.
Back to July thumbnails