Branch, New Orleans Public Library, Frenchmen and Royal Sts.
NOPL's Royal Branch opened late in the year 1907. Andrew Carnegie funded the building which was designed by architect Emile Weil and built by F. J. Noullet. According to the Library's 1908 annual report:
The building is a one-story and basement structure of the Doric style of architecture. It is fire-proof, the exterior and interior walls being of pressed brick and the floors of concrete. It occupies a lot 65 by 98 feet, and sits upon a low terrace. The interior space is divided into reading, attendants', janitor's, storage and toilet rooms. The reading-room is 40 by 50 feet with a ceiling height of sixteen feet. The absence of columns or other obstructions gives the impression of an even larger room.
Hurricane Betsy badly damaged the Royal Branch; it did not reopen following that 1965 storm. The site is now occupied by the Christopher Inn Apartments.
Back to July Images