Another view of the original, WPA-built Lincoln Beach bath house (May 29, 1941). With the renovation of the Beach in the early 1950s, this building was remodeled and converted to a restaurant.

Lincoln Beach was closed in 1964 by a federal order forbidding the operation of segregated facilities and over the years, the abandoned area fell into decay (though picnickers and sometimes swimmers still occasionally used it surreptitiously).

Today, however, the immediate future of Lincoln Beach looks rosy. The Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation has determined that the water off Lincoln Beach is the cleanest on the south shore of the Lake, and plans for the redevelopment of the area are taking off. With the resolution of a property dispute between the Levee Board and the City and a promise of federal, state and local funding, the beach appears poised to make a spectacular comeback under the direction of the New Orleans Building Corporation, the city agency that oversees the management and development of City-owned real estate. Plans call for a restoration of the sand beach, construction of a swimming pool and and bath house, concessions, nature trails, a recreation center, pavilion, shelters, playground facilities and sports fields and courts.