Lincoln Beach, 1953, during the Levee Board's rennovation of the amusement area. It was at this time that the Beach, which served New Orleans' African-American residents during the days of segregation, was rebuilt, following a decade of decline; pools, a new bath house, shelters, and the midway were all added. Lincoln Beach closed in 1964, following a federal order forbidding the operation of segregated facilities. Currently, the area is being rescued from ruin and restored to public use.
[Photograph by Leon Trice]