The old "Howard Annex" next to Gallier Hall housed various city offices from 1916 until it was demolished in 1963 to make room for the Federal Reserve Bank. As early as 1936, city officials considered selling the annex (and Gallier Hall!) to the federal government; again in 1958, after city government offices moved to their present location on Perdido Street, Mayor deLesseps S. Morrison offered a variety of vacated city buildings for sale, including the Howard Annex, Gallier Hall, the Canal Branch of NOPL, and the old Main Library at Lee Circle. This time, the Feds came up with the cash, and the old Annex was razed (and, happily, the plan to sell Gallier Hall was scuttled). The Howard Annex took its name from previous owner Frank T. Howard, a businessman, philanthropist, amateur historian and one-time president of the New Orleans Public Library Board of Directors, who made his home there.
Next
Back to January thumbnails