One of the special collections within NOPL's Louisiana Division is the Bookplate Collection, several thousand bookplates from libraries, other institutions, societies, business firms, and individuals. As early as 1940, the Library had begun to solicit contributions to a bookplate collection, and in 1955, Martha Gasquet Westfeldt, a NOPL patron and donor, mounted a campaign to gather the personal bookplates of prominent New Orleanians for an exhibit at the Latter Branch. The nucleus of the present-day collection, however, is a donation made to the library in 1957 of the bookplates collected over many years by two local women, Jane Grey Rogers and her sister, Elizabeth Goelet Rogers Palfrey. Miss Rogers was the librarian of the Tulane University School of Medicine and Mrs. Palfrey was a local artist. These efforts, along with small individual donations over the years, have resulted in the fine collection we have today.
This month, in honor of our visitors from the American Library Association, which meets in New Orleans from January 7-14, we present a number of bookplates from libraries in New Orleans, in other states, and even abroad.
Bookplates from the two libraries which merged
|The Howard Library, located on Howard Avenue between Camp Street and Lee Circle, was established in 1889 by Annie Turner Howard (Mrs. Walter Parrott) in memory of her father, Charles T. Howard. The plate at right is for Tulane University's School of Tropical Medicine, established in 1913.|
American Library Association
[Right] The Library Bureau supplied most of the
Presumably from the library of the
Back to Images Archive