Cafe du Monde, 800 Decatur St.

Cafe du Monde, famed for its coffee and beignets, was established in the 1860s. A landmark for tourists and locals alike, Cafe du Monde is located in the old meat market, which dates from 1813. The building was extensively renovated by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s and again in the 1970s, at which time its owners were required by the Vieux Carre Commission to remove the trademark neon sign and awnings seen in Mrs. Gulledge's photograph. Cafe du Monde prides itself on the fact that remains open twenty-four hours a day, 7 days a week (except for Christmas Day). In March, 2001, a fire in the kitchen forced its first unscheduled closure in modern memory. It was back in operation after a week.