M.F. Dunn & Bro.
Michael F. Dunn and his brother Dennis established a stationary store on "Newspaper Row" shortly after the Civil War. Their store had entrances both on Camp Street and on Banks Place, a narrow street behind Camp, now called Picayune Place. Two doors down from the Times-Picayune and next door to the Mascot, M.F. Dunn conducted a thriving trade in printing, lithography, large ledgers, and other office supplies, until his store was gutted by fire in 1899. His attempt to collect insurance for this loss dragged through the courts for six years before it was finally successfully settled. But Dunn never fully recovered from the effort, and retired from business soon after. He died in 1913. This is one of the older blotters in the Rare Vertical File.
Back to January Images