|This scary-looking building housed the Ninth Precinct Police Station and jail on Short Street,
just behind the old Carollton Courthouse (then McDonogh No. 23 school, later Benjamin Franklin High School, now the
Annex to Lusher Elementary). Built in the early 1890s, the police station also, for a time, housed the New Orleans Fire
Department's Engine Company No. 19. The building was sold to the Orleans Parish School Board in 1930 for $5000
and demolished in 1937.
The photo is from the New Orleans Police Department's History, 1900.