Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, Corner Elk Place and Tulane Avenue
From the Annual Report's description of the EENT facility, it appears that the two buildings shown here on the right were used for the hospital and administrative offices while the new building to the left housed the clinic. The 1895 Sanborn map suggests that the existing buildings on Elk Place were occupied by stores on the first floor (Richard and Marina Campanella, in New Orleans Then and Now, indicate that the hospital building had been occupied by the Silver Dollar Saloon) and as "female boarding" (a common euphemism for bordello) in the years prior to the establishment of Storyville. This image is from the report's cover.
Back to August Images