NOPL's Main Library sits on the edge of the city's once (and future) burgeoning medical district. When the building opened almost fifty years ago, one of its neighbors had just celebrated its own fiftieth anniversary in the neighborhood. The Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital (identified in some sources as the Senses Hospital) had moved to the downtown-lake corner of Elk Place and Tulane Avenue--directly across from 219 Loyola Avenue--in 1907.
In 1921 the old buildings were replaced by a new hospital and clinic, structures that served the institution for another sixty-plus years. Alas, the EENT did not survive long enough to celebrate its centennial on the corner. In 1988 a new Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital opened its doors uptown at 2626 Napoleon Avenue. The old hospital building sat vacant for eight years until it was finally demolished in 1996. Its site is now occupied by the Deming Pavilion of Tulane University's Medical Campus, with student housing on the upper floors and a Walgreen's drugstore downstairs. The new hospital lasted just a bit longer; it closed in mid-2000 for renovations and reopened the next year as the New Orleans Surgery and Heart Institute, part of Tenet Corporation's Memorial Medical Center, Baptist Campus. Hurricane Katrina shut down the Baptist facility, but in 2006 Ochsner Health Systems purchased the property and now operates the Surgery and Heart Institute as part of the Ochsner Baptist Medical Center.
This month's Gallery features images--photographs and text--from the 1907 Annual Report of the Hospital. The City Archives also holds copies of the reports for the years 1893-1894, 1898, 1900, 1908-1917, 1919-1921, and 1923-1929.