The Lakewood neighborhoods (North and South) were developed during the 1960s on the site of the old Lakewood Country Club, shown here in 1946. The area was flooded by water from the 17th Street Canal breach (the Canal is shown here to the left of the Country Club; the stream to its right is the New Basin Canal, since filled in and now the site of the neutral ground between West End and Pontchartrain Boulevards. The water in the vicinity of present-day Veterans Boulevard(RED DOT, more or less) reached about 9.1 feet after Katrina.
Click on the RED DOT for a closer view of that area.
Click on the BLUE DOT for a closer view of the vicinity of present-day Country Club Drive and the 17th Street Canal.
Click on the GREEN DOT for a closer view of a section of golf course at Lakewood.
Back to August Images