New Orleans Cotton ExchangeThe letterhead features the second building (1883-1920) to house the Cotton Exchange. The institution's third building still stands on the same site, now housing the Cotton Exchange Hotel. The Exchange itself was founded in 1871 to facilitate the trading of the South's most important commodity. It continued in existence until 1964 when the decline in cotton futures trading made the Exchange unnecessary.
Back to August Images