[U.S. Custom House]
Also unidentified in the Directory, the Custom House was still under construction in 1858, ten years after the work had commenced. By the time the structure was completed in the early 1880s the cupola shown here had been removed from the plans. Otherwise the exterior shown in 1858 matches the great building that still stands on Canal and Decatur Streets.
Back to August thumbnails