[St. Charles Hotel]
This historic structure, the second to house the city's most famous hotel, is not identified in the Directory, probably because everybody knew it so well. Virtually all dignitaries who visited the Crescent City took rooms at the St. Charles. The ground floor and basement levels, moreover, housed a number of businesses. Among those in 1858 were W. H. Redding & Co. Union Ticket Office; J. H. Treligh's packet agency; Johnston & Turner, fashionable hatters; and F. Fabre & Co., fashionable clothiers. The building burned in 1894 and its replacement was demolished in the mid-1970s. Its site is now occupied by the Bank One Center office tower.
Back to August thumbnails