Built for businessman and philanthropist Judah Touro earlier in the 1850s, this row of stores on Canal Street between Royal and Bourbon housed a number of business establishments over the years. In 1858 the list included J. Levois & Co., dry goods; J. Syme, druggist; Theo. Frois, dry goods; Barriere & Bro., dry goods; Haggerty & Bro., dry goods; J. D. Dameron, carpeting; Todd & Co., carpeting; James Syme & Co., dry goods; and Hyde & Goodrich, jewellers. Several of the Touro buildings remain standing today.
Back to August thumbnails