Image of the Month
When the new Union Passenger Terminal opened for business on January 8, 1954 its predecessor, Union Station, became redundant. This photograph, taken by Leon Trice Photography in February of that year, documents the old building's demolition. Once it was gone, the City extended Loyola Avenue out to Calliope Street; the Union Station site is more or less now occupied by that artery.|
Union Station, originally built for the Illinois Central Railroad, was the only railroad station designed by famed Chicago architect Louis Sullivan. At the beginning of his career, Frank Lloyd Wright worked in Sullivan's offices and contributed to the design of the station. Alas, such historical context did not count enough in 1950s New Orleans to allow the structure's retention!
Click the image to see a larger version.
Click HERE to visit our old (1996-2007) Images of the Month Gallery archives.