General Health & Medicine Sites
- MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's Web site for patients and their families and friends. Produced by the National Library of Medicine, it brings you information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in language you can understand. MedlinePlus offers reliable, up-to-date health information, anytime, anywhere, for free.
- Health and wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- Centers for Disease Control
- Enormous amount of information on health and
diseases from this government agency.
- Health Central
- "HealthCentral empowers millions of people to improve and take control of their health and well-being."
- Children's Hospital
- "Louisianas only full-service hospital exclusively for children,
Children's Hospital is a 188-bed pediatric medical center offering a full
range of inpatient and outpatient care."
- This is a gateway to consumer health information from the U.S.
government and includes links to selected online publications,
databases, web sites, and support and self-help groups, as well as the
government agencies and non-profit organizations that produce reliable
health information for the public.
- Healthy People Library Project
- "The purpose of this website is to provide libraries with resources for informing the public about health research, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to make healthier choices from advances that emerge from the research."
- InteliHealth - Johns
- A comprehensive health site best navigated through
the topics navigation bar at the bottom of each page. The major content
is in the "Health Library," which contains the Johns Hopkins
- Learn CPR
- An online Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation tutorial.
- Louisiana 2 Step
- "The Louisiana 2 Step is a fun, free, motivational program that teaches people 2 simple steps to better health: eat right and move more. Through this interactive website, you can access tools and information to help you get healthy and stay healthy."
- "This site is directed by a team of Mayo physicians, scientists, writers,
and educators. It is updated weekely to bring you the most relevant health
- "The reliable health information source."
- "MedicineNet.com is an online, healthcare media publishing company. It provides easy-to-read, in-depth, authoritative medical information for consumers via its robust, user-friendly, interactive website." Part of the WebMD Network.
- "The online resource for better patient care."
- An "e- encyclopedic dictionary" of medical terms, authored by physicians and scientists.
- The Merck Manual--Home Edition
- This site provides in-depth information, written by nearly 200 leading medical experts, on the
health issues that matter most to you. Choose between the familiar text version of the Merck Manual or a
new interactive version.
- National Library of
- The NLM's catalog of books, journals, and audiovisuals and access
points to other medical research tools.
- All about organ transplantation and donation.
- This "comprehensive online health resource, is committed to serving all your health information
and support needs."
- Your Disease Risk
- Calculate your individual risk for various types of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and stroke. From Washington University in St. Louis.
Finding a Doctor or Hospital
- This commercial site is similar to the AMA's Physician
Select (above) and, although it seems to have a smaller number of
listings, it sometimes offers more information on those it does list.
Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- The JCAHO
accredits nearly 18,000 health care organizations and programs,
including hospitals, health care plans and providers, home care
organizations, nursing homes and other long term care facilities,
behavioral care such as mental health and chemical dependency,
ambulatory care, and clinical laboratories. The heart of the site is
"Quality Check," their searchable directory of accredited organizations.
A search returns basic information, address, phone, accreditation rating
and full performance report, if available. There is also an excellent
annotated collection of links to health care web sites, information
about selecting a health care organization, and registering complaints
about accredited facilities.
- Partnership for Perscription Assistance
- "The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the medicines they need for free or nearly free."
- Online drug information and other health materials from PDR. Registration
- RxList - The Internet
- Searchable database gives the brand name, generic name,
and category for over 4,000 drugs. Also has most common indications and
Other Health Issues
- "The largest HIV/AIDS web site in the world. UPDATED HOURLY."
- "This web-site responds to the need for rapid access of all allergy and
intolerance resources on the World Wide Web."
- American Heart Association
- Cancer News on the
- Commercial site "dedicated to bringing patients and their
families the latest information on cancer diagnosis and treatment. We
are constantly searching for the best cancer information sources that
are available on the Net."
- Information about treatments, symptoms, and causes of appendicitis, celiac
disease, cirrhosis, constipation, Crohn's Disease, cyclic vomiting
syndrome, diverticulosis and diverticulitis, gallstones, and gas.
- Covers various treatments, preventative measures, and diagnosis of head
lice. Also has current news and developments relating to lice,
information on the biology of the louse, etc.
- Osteoporosis Online
- Information about osteoporosis, its prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
browsing areas for kids, parents, and professionals. The kids' section
contains features on the food pyramid, how the body works, and games.
The parents' area includes resources on child development, nutrition,
children's infections, safety, behavioral issues, and support groups.
for Alcohol and Drug Information
- Comprehensive guide to mental health resources online.
National Institute of
- Good source of basic information
about drugs with resources for prevention and treatment of substance
- This site on mental health is for both researchers
(with categories such as "news and events," "grants," "contracts," and
"research activities") and the general public (specifics on "mental
disorders, diagnosis and treatment," as well as links to other NIMH
- Good information for nurses and nursing students (including employment
information) plus other medical information. Nursing Net is brought to
you by area residents Mark and Mary Carraway.
Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator
- This new site provides easy access to all online federal government information on nutrition. This
national resource makes obtaining government information on nutrition, healthy eating, physical activity, and
food safety, easily accessible in one place for many Americans.
- "This searchable directory of drug and alcohol treatment programs will show the location of
facilities around the country that treat
alcoholism, alcohol abuse and drug abuse problems."
- Friendly support for your healthy vegetarian lifestyle.
Return to Subject Links