The Louisiana Division houses the City Archives, the official
repository for the historical records of the New Orleans municipal goverment.
Established by the Spanish rulers of Louisiana in 1769, the City Archives has remained together as a collection and
has been added to regularly since coming under the Library's administration in 1946. Today
the City Archives comprises more than 1200 manuscript volumes, more than 3500 cubic feet
of unbound documents, and sizable collections of maps, architectural drawings,
photographs, videotapes, and sound recordings.
The inventories and finding aids on this page represent only a portion of the municipal records available in the City
Archives. For further information on records not listed here, or to make an appointment, call us at (504) 596-2610 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Microfilmed records in the City Archives are available for in-house use
during regular hours. Records not yet on microfilm are available by