The names of public
streets are changed by ordinance, following prior approval by the City
Planning Commission. The following list reflects name changes
reported to the City Archives by the Planning Commission staff some years ago. The Planning Commission has not reported any more recent changes to us.
Street name change ordinances are cataloged under the City Archives call
number OVF AQ311sn.
For early street name changes, see Alphabetical Index of Changes in Street Names, Old and New, Period 1852 to Current Date, Dec. 1st 1938.
- Calliope St. between Convention Center Blvd. and the Ponchartrain
Expressway has been changed to John Churchill Chase Street
- The Ponchartrain Expressway service roads from Convention Center Blvd. to
Earhart Blvd. at Loyola Ave. have been changed to Calliope Street
- One block of
Prytania St. between Clio St. and the Ponchartrain Expressway has
been changed to Margaret Place (11/8/1990).
- A portion of
Bringier St. from the
Mississippi River to Behrman Ave. and a portion of Victory Park Dr. from
the intersection with Bringier St. and Behrman to General DeGaulle Blvd.
has been changed to Mardi Gras Boulevard (3/4/1994).
- One block of Stephan
Girard St. between Elysian Fields Ave. & Mandeville St. has been
changed to St. Aloysius Drive (8/15/1994).
- The private roadway
Star Casino Blvd. located within the South Shore Harbor Marina
Development has been changed to Stars and Stripes Boulevard
Back to Fact Finder