|He started out in business as a partner in the firm of Cordeviolle and
Lacroix at 141 Chartres Street. Etienne Cordeviolle, also a free man of color (though of Italian ancestry),
operated a dry goods store for several years before joining together with Lacroix. By 1832 the partners had
relocated their business to 150 Chartres.|
By 1838 Cordeviolle and Lacroix were in operation at 123 Chartres. They remained at that location throughout the remainder of their partnership. This billhead, used for business at the new location, proudly proclaimed that the firm had "The most elegant and fashionable articles pertaining to the Gentleman's Wardrobe, Imported, And constantly on hand."
|Next ||| Introduction ||| Title|