|New Orleans Incorporated: 200 Years of the City Charter|
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
p a g e 15
|n e x t . c o n t e n t s|
One result of the reunification of New Orleans under the 1852 Charter was the change in location of the seat of government from the Cabildo to the former Second Municipality Hall on St. Charles Street at Lafayette Square. James Gallier’s magnificent building, shown here as it appeared in the mid-1850s, would serve as New Orleans’ City Hall for more than 100 years. After the new Civic Center opened for business in 1957 the old building was renamed Gallier Hall to honor the architect who had designed it.
[Crescent City Business Directory for 1858-1859]