|New Orleans Incorporated: 200 Years of the City Charter|
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
p a g e 34
|n e x t . c o n t e n t s|
This chart reflects the structure of the Crescent City’s government after the Legislature, in 1948,|
amended the 1912 Charter to increase the Commission Council from five to eight members.
This was one of more than 100 bills introduced that year at the behest of Governor Earl K. Long
in what Professor Edward F. Haas has called “the rape of New Orleans.” Long’s interference in
local affairs led to a movement to secure a true home rule charter for the city, one that would lessen
the state’s ability to control the operations of municipal government.
[Records of the Charter Committee for the City of New Orleans;
see also Edward F. Haas. DeLesseps S. Morrison and the Image of Reform (LSU Press, 1974), pp. 124 ff.]
Scroll across > > >