|New Orleans Incorporated: 200 Years of the City Charter|
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
p a g e 20
|n e x t . c o n t e n t s|
The 1870 Charter (Act #7 of the 1870 Louisiana Legislature) in its first two sections effected the city’s annexation of Jefferson City, formerly part of Jefferson Parish. The law also for the first time included the right bank (now known as the West Bank) of the Mississippi River as part of the city of New Orleans. Prior to 1870 the right bank, comprising the community of Algiers, existed as part of unincorporated Orleans Parish, and was governed by a Police Jury.
[Acts of Louisiana, 1870]