|New Orleans Incorporated: 200 Years of the City Charter|
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
p a g e 18
|n e x t . c o n t e n t s|
The charter of 1852 was extensively revised in 1856 without changing, however, the basic pattern of the city's government. The bicameral council was retained but both boards were given a fixed size and the number of members was reduced. The three-fifths majority required to override the mayor's veto was changed to two-thirds. Reorganization of the administration was provided for through the abolition of certain boards, the creation of others, and council rather than popular election of two department heads. This charter remained in effect throughout the Civil War period, although there were a number of changes in the city's government. During the period of military occupation the mayor was appointed by the military authority, and after the restoration of civilian government in 1866 the reconstruction legislature actively controlled the city. The city's police force, for example, was replaced by a metropolitan police force under the control of the governor, which, although established for Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard parishes, had police powers throughout the state.
[The City Charter, 1856. (New Orleans, 1856)]