Alexander Allison's New Orleans|
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
|Images of the City||Next | Back | City | Family | Introduction|
|Click on the image to magnify | Use your back button to return to this page|
Washington Artillery Hall, 1948
This large building (the one with the Buick sign on its front) dates from the 1860s when it was built as Exposition Hall. It fronted on St. Charles Street and extended all the way through the square (bounded by Girod and Julia Streets) to Carondelet Street. In 1878 the Washington Artillery purchased the structure and used the ground floor for its armory. The second floor was divided into two large ballrooms; Rex held its balls there for a number of years. After World War II the Artillery moved its operations to Jackson Barracks and sold the St. Charles property. The Hall was demolished in the early 1950s to make way for construction of a new office building. The building to the left of the Hall (then the Hotel Patin) is still standing, as are at least some of the older structures closer to Girod Street.