Alexander Allison's New Orleans
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
Images of the City Next   |   Back   |   City   |   Family   |   Introduction

Click on the image to magnify   |   Use your back button to return to this page
Camp Street -- St. Joseph Street towards Howard Avenue, 1952

Allison photographed these five residential buildings shortly before they were demolished to make way for a gymnasium for the neighboring Lee Circle YMCA. Allison noted that the buildings had been designed by James Gallier, but volume 2 of the Friends of the Cabildo New Orleans Architecture series attributes them instead to Henry Howard, another superb antebellum architect in the Crescent City. That volume describes the structures as, “five splendid three-story brick houses with cast iron balconies.” They were erected in 1852 by John K. Collins for Thomas Hale; a century later, they were gone—even the gymnasium is no longer.

Images of the City   |   Images of the Family