Alexander Allison's New Orleans|
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
|Images of the City||Next | Back | City | Family | Introduction|
|Click on the image to magnify | Use your back button to return to this page|
First Presbyterian -- Lafayette Square, 1910
The First Presbyterian Church opened at this location in 1835 but was destroyed by fire twenty years later. A new church, the one shown here, was constructed in its place and opened in 1857. The 1915 hurricane destroyed the building but it was quickly rebuilt. The U.S. government purchased the property in 1938, demolished the church, and built what is now known as the F. Edward Hebert Federal Building in its place. Materials from the old church were salvaged and used in the construction of the present-day First Presbyterian Church at South Claiborne and Jefferson Avenues. Also visible in the photo are the base of the John McDonogh statue in the foreground and the tower of St. Patrick’s Church behind and to the left of First Presbyterian.