Alexander Allison's New Orleans
Louisiana Division | New Orleans Public Library
Images of the City Next   |   Back   |   City   |   Family   |   Introduction

Click on the image to magnify   |   Use your back button to return to this page
St. John's Church and School, December 22, 1956

Allison took a number of “before” photos of the area in the vicinity of the approaches to the new Mississippi River Bridge, which opened to traffic in October 1958. St. John the Baptist Church on Dryades (now Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard), between Clio and Calliope Streets is immediately adjacent to one of those approaches. This photograph shows the parish school, apparently being prepared for demolition, still standing on the corner of Dryades and Calliope. The church, though quite close to the elevated roadway, was spared; its gold dome provides something quite impressive for commuters to gaze upon while they’re stuck in traffic.

Images of the City   |   Images of the Family