Algiers: The Right Bank

Part VII

Click on the images below to view a larger version of each. Use your back button to return to this page.

Two pages from a pamphlet celebrating athletics in Algiers, ca. 1954.

[Louisiana Division Vertical File]

The West Bank as it appeared before the Mississippi River Bridge approaches were built, March 1956. Photo by Leon Trice.

[Oversized Photograph Collection]

Program for the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the annexation of Algiers to New Orleans, March 16, 1970. The day's events focused on Algiers' native and World War II hero, General J. Lawton Collins, nicknamed "Lightning Joe" for his routing of the Japanese at Guadalcanal. Collins was also known as "the man who drove the Germans out of Cherbourg," and later served as U.S. Army Chief of Staff during the Korean War. Collins was honored during the centennial celebrations with a maritime salute as he arrived on the ferry, a motorcade through Algiers, and the ceremonial naming of "General Collins Avenue." He was also guest of honor at the Fair Grounds' "Algiers Day at the Races" and at the Algiers Annexation Centennial Ceremonies held that evening at the Behrman High School Auditorium.

The Algiers Annexation Centennial celebrations continued throughout March and April of 1970 with a series of special events sponsored by civic, service and garden clubs, school and various organizations, culminating in a "Night in Old Algiers."

[Louisiana Division Vertical File]

The corner of Vespasian and Le Boeuf Streets, October, 1959. These old buildings were among the structures demolished to make way for the Fischer Housing Project during the 1960s. Photograph by Jerry Bray.

[Municipal Government Photograph Collection,
Housing Authority of New Orleans Series]

The site of Brechtel Memorial Park during the time that the land was being cleared for recreational use. Photograph by Jerry Bray, January, 1960.

[Municipal Government Photograph Collection,
Parkway and Park Commission Series]

The old Newton Street Viaduct, ca. 1950. The steel viaduct (what we would now call an overpass) carried automobile traffic over the Southern Pacific's extensive railroad yards between Atlantic and Thayer Streets. When the SP relocated most of its activity upriver to the Avondale area, the viaduct was no longer needed. It was dismantled in the early 1960s.

[Municipal Government Photograph Collections,
Streets Department Series]

The Morrison administration celebrated the removal of the Newton Street Viaduct and the opening of the "new" Newton Street with a ceremony on February 4, 1961. In keeping with the season, Chief Choctaw and his princess were chosen to do the ribbon cutting (their parade took place on the same day as the ceremony). This glossy tabloid publicized the event.

[Louisiana Vertical File]

William J. and Lula Barker in front of 612 Bouny Street, ca. 1930s.

[William J. Barker Photograph Collection]

William J. Barker on the front porch of 612 Bouny Street in 1919.

[William J. Barker Photograph Collection]

Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Harding at 609 Majestic Place, ca. 1938.

[William J. Barker Photograph Collection]

Children on Bouny Street, ca. 1930s.

[William J. Barker Photograph Collection]

Introduction || Part I || Part II || Part III || Part IV || Part V || Part VI || Part VII