Miscellaneous Facts from the Louisiana Division|
The miscellaneous information on this page was selected from the Louisiana Division's
"Rolodex" card file. We are characterizing these facts as miscellaneous because they do not fall
easily into one of the specific categories present elsewhere in our Fact Finder.
We will be adding new data to this page on a continuing basis.
Acadian Names, Common
As noted in the 1976 Greater Lafayette telephone book:
- Broussard--6 1/2 columns
- Guidry--4 columns
- Hebert--4 columns
- Leblanc--4 columns
- Breaux--3 columns
- Landry--3 columns
- Mouton--3 columns
- Trahan--3 columns
- Amusement Park, City Park Avenue (across from the park)
Stock's Scenic Park. For an aerial view, see LOU R 917.631 Z38
- Arbor Day in Louisiana
Celebrated on the third Friday in January (Louisiana Revised Statutes 1:57).
- Athletic Park
Tulane Ave. between S. Pierce and S. Carrollton (1906 city directory);
White City, an amusement park, opened on the site in 1907 (N.O. Item, May 4,
Site occupied by Pelican Stadium after 1913.
- Audubon Park, Meteorite (1891)
This was an April Fool joke according the the Roosevelt Review, April 1945, p.21
- Bank Failures in New Orleans
International City Bank (December 30 or 31, 1976)
Republic National Bank (July 29, 1977)
- Basin Street
Name changed to North Saratoga on May 11, 1921 (Ordinance #6426, CCS)
North Saratoga changed to Basin in 1945 (Ordinance #16137, CCS)
Basin beyond Toulouse changed to Orleans on September 1, 1960 (Ordinance #1995, MCS)
Orleans between Toulouse and North Claiborne changed to Basin in 1972 (Ordinance #5016,
- Beauty, Personal
Gladys Moore, Miss New Orleans, 1926
Dorothy Lamour, Miss New Orleans, 1931
Mary Healy (later Mrs. Peter Lind Hayes), Miss New Orleans, 1935
Helene Shively, Miss New Orleans, 1945
- Bell Crevasse
Break in the Mississippi River levee near present-day Barataria Blvd. in Marrero occurred in
- Bienville Historic Trail
A bicycle and automobile trail linking the lake and the river following Bienville's original route
along Bayou St. John, Bayou Road, and Governor Nicholls St. to Jackson Square. Sponsored by
the Boy Scouts of America and the Louisiana Trails Advisory Council. (City Planning
Commission, Minutes, April 7, 1976).
- Billy Goat Park
The triangular piece of land bounded by Tulane Ave. and Banks, South Galvez & South Johnson
Streets. Ordinance #744, C.S. (1884) created a public park at that location. By 1896 it was
known as Tulane Park. The name Billy Goat Park is of unknown origin but is referred to in a
1965 letter in Mayor Schiro's records.
- Burton, Waldo
Son of millionaire lumberman William L. Burton. Waldo died in 1914 and in
1921 his father built a memorial orphan home in his name. The home, on
South Carrollton Ave., is operated by the Society for the Relief of
Destitute Orphan Boys.
- Callender, Capt. Alvin A. "Sandy"
One of the few Americans who flew with the British Royal Flying Corps
(RFC) in World War I. Officially, he is credited with having shot down
fourteen enemy planes although it is thought that he shot down
twenty-four. This outstanding New Orleanian died in action on October 30,
- Carnival Cancellations
- 1918-1919--World War I
- 1942-1945--World War II
- 1951--Korean Conflict
- 1979--Police Strike
- Cemeteries, Confederate
The Camp Moore Cemetery, near Kentwood, is the only Confederate cemetery
in the state that
we were able to find back in 1975. Neither the Confederate Museum nor a
Daughters of the Confederacy representative could identify any other
- Charity Hospital
For information on the relocation of a five-story building within the
hospital complex, see
Times-Picayune, June 5, 1935 (pages 1 & 3).
Old structure demolished, September 17, 1936.
Work on the new building began on July 27, 1939.
- Choctaw Club Building
Built on Lafayette Square in 1841 (designed by James Gallier). Destroyed
in the early 1970s
- Cities, Towns and Villages, Definitions
Cities--5,000 or more inhabitants
Towns--between 1,000 and 4,999 inhabitants
Villages--between 150 and 999 inhabitants
- City Park, Size
1,500 acres. Ninth largest city-owned recreational park in the U.S.
- Civic Center
Dedication, May 6, 1957
- Civil War, Louisiana
Louisiana seceded from the Union on January 26, 1861
Louisiana readmitted to the Union on May 29, 1865
Military control withdrawn in April 1877
- College of Orleans
Established in 1811.
Closed, March 31, 1826.
- Collins, Michael (Astronaut)
Born in Italy; his father was a native of New Orleans.
- Confederate Memorial Day in Louisiana
- Cotton Exchange
Founded, February 11, 1871
Stopped trading, July 9, 1964
- Desegregation, High Schools in New Orleans
First public high school to desegregate--Benjamin Franklin (1964)
First parochial high school (boys) to desegregate--Jesuit (1962)
First parochial high schools (girls) to desegregate--Ursuline Academy &
St. Mary's Dominican (1962)
- Mardi Gras
- The 2004 parade schedule (OVF TP950m 2004)inlcudes the running times for all New Orleans parades during the years 2000-2003),
- Murder in New Orleans
- 1930--84 (derived from the index of victims in the NOPD Homicide Reports for the year; click
herefor information on those records, including availability by year)
- 1932--78 (based on a count made from the Coroner's Office autopsy record book for the year)
- 1933--64 (based on a count made from the Coroner's Office autopsy record book for the year)
- 1958--85 (from the NOPD annual report for that year, 55 classified as criminal homicide and 30 as negligent homicide)
Return to FactFinder