This 1887 plan of the Algiers batture shows mooring posts, houses, and former lots between Market and Peters (now
Pelican) Streets. The indicated water line shows property that recently had been overrun by the Mississippi. Church and
Jefferson Streets are no longer in duration.
[Louisiana Map Collection]
| The photograph reproduced here was
taken in 1865. Trains of the New Orleans, Opelousas & Great Western Railroad and the U.S. Military Railroad are
shown at the GNOOGWRR shops in Algiers.
[Louisiana Vertical File]
The Algiers Waterworks & Electric Company in 1895 provided water, ice, and electricity to the Fifth District until its
sale to the Algiers Railway and Light Co. in 1907. After several years of uncertainty, the Sewerage and Water Board
gained control of the distribution of water in Algiers. Algiers Railway and Light Co. and its successors operated the
power and transit services for the right bank until the year 1927 and the formation of Louisiana Power and Light Co.
[Louisiana Division Rare Vertical File]
| McDonogh No. 5 School,
designed by William Freret in the "cottage school" style, opened in 1875 on Verret St. between Franklin
(now Opelousas) and Market (now Slidell) Streets as a grammar and primary school for African-American
boys and girls. By 1909, the school had been turned over to white students. The building was located on
the site currently occupied by the Berhman School gymnasium.
[McDonogh School Plans]
|Shown here is a photograph of McDonogh No. 5 from the 1892-1895 Reports of the Board of Commissioners of the McDonogh School Fund shows the front of the building.|
|This sketch of the new Algiers Courthouse appears in the original 1896 edition of William H. Seymour's Story of Algiers, 1718-1896, now fifth district of New Orleans, the past and present. The handsome structure, one of the outstanding landmarks of Algiers Point, was recently renovated. It currently houses the Second City Court, a unit of the New Orleans Traffic Court, a branch of the Registrar of Voters office, and the local offices of District "C" Councilman Troy Carter and Fifth District Assessor Tom Arnold.|
| The U.S. Immigration Station at
Patterson and Horace Streets was first used on May 2, 1913, when 79 steerage passengers from the
French steamship Virginie were processed and entered the United States. The Algiers station
prided itself on its humane treatment of new immigrants and attempted "to make the application of the law
a helpful and generous activity rather than a harsh imposition of governmental decree." The station closed
[Alexander Allison Photograph Collection]